Monday, March 22, 2010

Fun with Tonto

Saturday we had extraordinarily beautiful weather and extra time to play, so I pulled little Tonto out of the pasture. He wasn't sure what to think of that, it had been so long! He certainly enjoyed the long grooming session - hair was flying everywhere and there must have been at least a hundred hair packed wads from the curry comb surrounding him. It is definitely shedding season and this little guy has A LOT of hair to shed. I should have hosed his feet off - the mud sticks so badly. I look foward to warmer weather when I can wash his tail again, too.


Since we had a few hours to enjoy, I tacked Tonto up and the kids and I walked down the gravel road to the little creek that flows under the road to the front of the neighbor's property. I just led Tonto and let him get a good look at everything. He stood fairly patiently while the kids threw rocks into the water for about 30 minutes or so.

Once we were back home, I longed him for a while. He was very well mannered, remembering his walk, trot, and halt commands. He still doesn't know how to canter on the longe, something I hope I can teach him when we have more time to spend together...anyway, once he'd been worked and I felt he had all the bugs out, my daughter wanted to get on.



Tonto was very good and I was so proud of A! I led her around for at least 20 minutes or so, working on sitting up, soft hands and elbows, stopping, turning. This is the longest she has ever ridden and she truly showed an interest. She turns 5 tomorrow, so maybe she is finally maturing enough to focus longer than just a few minutes. I wanted to keep it fun and not bore her, so we stopped when she wanted to. Her little legs are so short, they don't reach below the saddle flaps!


It's time to get her some paddock boots and jodhpurs, it looks like! :)



I think it will be a few years before she outgrows Tonto...and that is a really good thing!



Tonto will be 14 this year, so as he ages, he continues to get better. He was quite green when we bought him over 7 years ago and rather skittish. He's had ample time to settle over the past several years.


I think they make a cute pair!


Tonto was enjoying a good neck scratch while Ashlee put her head on his neck. Mom snapped the photo as Ashlee was sitting up -
A is very proud of herself!


Then it was B's turn to ride. Yes, the shorts and dairy boots make a funny combo, but hey, he wanted to ride and I wasn't turning him down!



It's time for him to start riding Tonto regularly, too!



B had so much more confidence this time and wanted me to turn him loose. I still don't quite trust Tonto in the pasture and we don't have an arena, so I ended up putting him on the longe line so we could work on walk/halt transitions.



B is focusing on learning to turn:
(I wish I had been able to upload the videos. I believe the files were too large.)

It will be so nice to have the ponies in the back yard so we can play with them more than once every few months. I was thrilled that both A and B wanted to ride this time...and I was proud of them for listening to instructions. They tried so hard to catch on to what I was trying to explain. Maybe there is hope? :)
Happy Spring and Happy Riding!

4 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Such a good pony packing both kids. Looks like they all had a good time.

buckpony said...

Hi Rising Rainbow! Thank you for visiting! I have high hopes that Tonto can be A's future Pony Club or 4-H mount. He is a good little pony.

Are those twin foals in your profile pic? They are adorable!

Rising Rainbow said...

buckpony, That would be cool. I dont know that much about Pony club except that it's supposed to be a great program for teaching horsemanship.

Yes the foals in the pic are twins, Trouble and Surprise. They're what got me blogging in the first place. It was an easier way to answer all the questions I was getting about them.

BaxtersMum said...

Auntie question - where's D?? Is he over the pony fettish!?