Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Checking In - What We've Been Up To

This is our little "orphan Annie" look-alike, so my husband decided we needed to take her to see the play Annie at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta. Here she is holding the program...sorry, but I believe my Annie is a lot cuter than the one on the program. :)


The photo below was taken before entering the historic Fox Theatre. My Grandparents and parents watched many plays here and attended dances in the ball rooms, so it was neat to see a part of their past. The theatre is absolutely beautiful inside.


Our little Annie didn't quite make it to the grand ending of the play, but she was completely mesmerized up to the point where she fell asleep in my lap.

Annie was one of my very favorite movies when I was a child and I was thrilled to be able to share the experience with my children. Every aspect of the play was awesome. The child that played Annie had a beautiful, strong voice, so it was fun to hear her belt out those wonderful songs of Annie. My boys even enjoyed the performance.
On Sunday, we headed to Stone Mountain which is set up as "Snow Mountain" for the winter. Below is a shot of the snow tubing chutes from the top of Stone Mountain. We had a 2 hour block of time to do the snow tubing...in 2 hours, hubby and I sledded down 3 times and the kids each did it twice. I think I could have tubed all day, but it was so tiring for the kids having to drag their tube up the hill, then zig and zag through all the cattle lines to finally reach the top, only to have a 2 second run down the hill. So, after a little bit of fun, we headed to the Snow Zone to play in the man-made snow.

Below is a photo of Stone Mountain. The Snow activities were set up close to the base of it, so every time you looked up, you got a great view of the mountain. We also had a great view of the infamous carving of Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis on the side of the mountain.

The kids had the most fun playing in the snow at the "Snow Zone." The snow was made by a snow-blower that would shoot snow (or ice from what it felt like) every few minutes.
Here is D getting pelted by the "snow."
He is wearing his Aunt S's favorite sweatshirt. :)
Here's a photo of B skiing down the hill without skis....this turned into sledding on their bellies.
A and her little snow buddy: (they kind of look alike!)
Hubby took a photo of us posing with a little snowman someone else built:
(I'm wearing a lovely pink poncho because it was drizzling rain...it was SO cold! The kids didn't seem to even notice the cold.)
Here we are on the top of Stone Mountain. We rode the tram up to the top, got out and went exploring. I only thought I was cold in the snow zone at the base of the mountain...up here the wind was whipping at a million miles an hour!
Notice our daughter in the yellow poncho about to run off the top of Stone Mountain...
These are just a few of the many photos I snapped on our trip. We had a great time getting away and trying something different for a change. The kids sure enjoyed it!
I haven't had any horse time in the last couple of weeks aside from brushing the ponies. My oldest son and I did make it to the Alabama Horse Fair this past weekend and enjoyed watching the stallion showcase and clinics by Tommie Turvey and his fabulous horses and dogs. It got me itching to ride again.
We had torrential rain last week, too, and my husband noticed the pipe on the upper terrace is getting washed out, thus water is blowing out of the bottom of the upper terrace. I'm not sure what it is going to take to get that problem fixed....we will definitely have to look into digging a ditch along our neighbor's property where the water is coming from. We've already talked to them about the problem and they are all for finding a solution. It washes their dirt driveway away as well, so maybe if we work together we can remedy the problem.
Hubby worked a little on the barn last weekend, but it was his birthday weekend, so I didn't force him to work. :) Hopefully he and his buddy can work on it some this weekend...spring is coming and I am getting antsy again! :)


Here is a video of the kids playing in the Snow Zone at Snow Mountain...you never know what you get when you video. For instance, check out the guy on the right side of the screen. It gives a whole new meaning to the term "snow blowing..."

video

2 comments:

BaxtersMum said...

If I have to, I will send all my little chillens GT apparel.

In fact, you might as well send me sizes now. The insanity MUST stop.

(Alabama I could stomach - barely, but GEORGIA?? There's no reason for that nonsense.)

Beth said...

It looks like a great time was had by all. Annie was my favorite show/ movie when I was little. I remember the Sunday that we went to the matinee after church so well! I also remember playing and restarting our Annie record (yes, vinyl) with my best friend so we could write down the words for the songs and memorize them! It looks like your little one had just as much fun.