Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What Do You Do?

What do you do when a dejected, half starved, skittish doggie shows up at your house and you have a big heart that has a soft spot for lost, abused, or abandoned animals?


You start feeding them, talking to them, and becoming their friend. Then you open your home to them.

Meet Sam.
Sam showed up in early July and just kind of hung around the house. He walked with his head and tail down, jumping at the slightest noise. He wouldn't let anyone get close enough to touch him and everyone/everything made him so nervous.


Finally he allowed my middle child to pet him. They became friends and Sam followed B around the house. Then Sam let A pet him, then finally my oldest, D. After a while, Sam decided that since I was the food lady, he might let me pet him as well. Soon Sam began relaxing around us and hanging out in the driveway.




Over the last couple of weeks he has made an amazing transformation into the sweetest, friendliest, loving-est, most appreciative dog ever!
Last Thursday, A and I took Sam and our other two doggies to the vet for shots. Now Sam has his own set of tags - a rabies tag and an ID tag with my name on it, complete with a brand new collar.



I hope he decides to stay for a long, long time.

5 comments:

BaxtersMum said...

that, my dear, is why there is a special place in heaven (and my heart) for you.
hugs!

manymisadventures said...

What a sweet face. He sure looks like a lover -- and it is wonderful of you to take him in.

Tracey said...

Oh, he's so cute! Of course you took him in...he obviously is your dog!

fssunnysd said...

Way to go! And what a big grin he's wearing :)

SunnySD said...

I completely hear you on the busy-ness front! I don't know where the time goes. Hope you get some quality horse time in soon, but I'm glad to know you're doing okay out there. Family health situations are so stressful - I know from experience how hard it can be on everyone concerned. Hang in there!