Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sigh...microsteps

Still nothing going on here as far as the barn. It is getting closer to spring, and I begin to get antsy about getting the barn done and the fencing up. It is so hard to be patient. We poured concrete the end of September in 2007 and put up some of the studs along what are to be the feedroom and tackroom that same year.

The hill is still heavily damaged from the torrential downpour we had after grading the hill and putting down all of the topsoil. One area up near the barn has a good stand of bermuda grass, but we need grass all over the hill. Hubby said he would see about bringing in more topsoil and seeding again. This time we will possibly sod some areas and put netting over the rest of it to prevent washing as much as possible.



The area that washed the worst might become a shallow drainage ditch which we could line with sod. You guys provided some great suggestions to combat future erosion problems, now we just need to figure out the right approach.



Most of the hill is still bare. Because this is fill dirt, nothing will grow in it. Topsoil is a must and is not cheap.


Another photo of the errosion:



Here's the pole barn...it is amazing how quickly things become delapidated when they just sit. How I wish I was good with a hammer and pouring concrete.



For now it is the waiting game. It is hard when you and your spouse don't have the same dreams and ambitions or ideas about things. I need to be better about helping my hubby fulfill his dreams and ambitions and quit nagging him about mine.




Maybe one day it will all come together. I just wish it was before the kids were grown so they could have the same privilege I had growing up with horses. Now I wish I could outgrow the "horse thing" and put it behind me. I've tried, even selling my very beloved horse Hamlet right after my husband and I married. My parents have been kind enough to buy Tonto and Filly so the kids and I could enjoy them as often as we are able, but they are getting to the point that they won't be able to care for them much longer. It's frustrating.


On another note, Sam is still doing great. He has an appointment to be "fixed" on March 19th...don't tell him though!

Sam and Daisy have matching coats! I guess my husband and oldest son really are surrounded by red heads!


And here's old Snowflake...as soon as it is warm enough, I'm taking this poor guy to be groomed. This fellow is about 15 or 16 years old now and his age is beginning to catch up with him.



Enough of the pitiparty! Hope all of you are doing well and thanks for checking in.


2 comments:

SunnySD said...

Sure is taking shape, though! I know how hard it can be when your hubby (and heavy lifter) has other things he'd rather be doing than more horse stuff (grin). And the horse stuff is never ending. Kids, wonderful though they are, have their own interests too. It can be a real test of juggling skills to get everything squeezed in.

I'm currently feeling guilty because T has been getting stuck with the majority of the evening meals while I run out to feed. Not that he minds cooking, but....

Spring can't come soon enough - LOL!

Love the furry puppy shots - and I'm still jealous of your barn. Even as a work in progress, it's great!

Pony Girl said...

Whatch been up to? Hopefully too busy working on the barn to post on your blog! ;) Small steps are better than no steps. I know you'll have your dream someday. By the way, I love the painting on the header!