Sunday, May 23, 2010

With Dignity

This is a very hard post to write. At this point, I am struggling with saying good-bye to a very dear friend. My beloved Maggie turned 32 years old on May 8th. These photos were taken on her birthday. She still has a spark in her eye, yet she is in immense pain.


Mags never had the best conformation, and you can see how it caught up with her in age. She had a very long back and sickle hocks...but what she lacked in conformation, she made up for in brains and kindness. Maggie always knew we were stupid kids doing stupid things, so she took care of me. I don't recall her ever spooking at anything, other than a frisbee that was thrown over her head during a crazy grand entry of the rodeo one year. She had the right to spook at that...


From the photos, you can see she is wispy looking - much thinner than this time last year. She has slowed down so much, laying down a lot, getting the weight off her front legs. And you can see why:

Maggie bowed a tendon many years ago and strained the other tendons and ligaments in her front legs. You can see the swelling in both legs and how her fetlocks are almost touching the ground. Sometimes they do when she walks. Her back end is getting incredibly weak, so much so that she will walk sideways to keep from falling. So, after having our very compassionate veterinarian out to look Maggie over, we agreed it was time to allow Maggie to cross the rainbow bridge with dignity, rather than waiting for her to get down and not be able to get back up. Maggie is in so much pain, even with the doses of bute and Corta-Flex RX, there is no reason to make her continue to exist. She has out lived her body. However, this is still no easy decision to make.


Maggie has been a part of my life for a long time.
But it is time to let her go on to a place of rest, free from pain. She has had a wonderful life of 32 years and I am so blessed that she has been my friend for what seems like a very short time.

We will be saying good-bye this week, so please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

7 comments:

Braymere said...

I am so sorry. This is the only downside to loving an animal--they never do live long enough. You and your family will be in my thoughts this week.

Fyyahchild said...

Ah, I'm sorry to hear it but support you completely in making this kind decision. What a great old gal. She's lucky to have had such a kind family to take care of her all these years. Best wishes.

BaxtersMum said...

sucks. Thanks for the good times, Mags. I loved every minute.

buckpony said...

Thanks so much for the support - I tear up every time I think of Friday. I was able to spend the last 2 afternoons with Maggie, and hubby and I will go early Friday morning to spend time with Mags before our compassionate vet arrives at 9 am. It will be a tough day for me, but a good day for Maggie. Tonight she shifted her weight constantly to relieve the pain in her front legs. Soon, she will no longer be in pain.
It is hard to believe how fast 24 years have passed.

Thank you again for all of your kind thoughts - it is wonderful having caring friends such as you who understand.

Mile High Pixie said...

I am so, so sorry for you. It is a hard decision to make indeed, but I am so glad you are making the decision with regard to her dignity. I recently put my beloved 12-year-old cat to sleep before she "laid down and couldn't get back up". Here spirit was still there--she would amble into the kitchen for treats even though she couldn't eat them--but her body was done.

My deepest condolences. Know that you are kind in your bravery and brave in your kindness towards this wonderful creature with whom you have been trusted for so many years.

Mile High Pixie said...

I am so, so sorry for you. It is a hard decision to make indeed, but I am so glad you are making the decision with regard to her dignity. I recently put my beloved 12-year-old cat to sleep before she "laid down and couldn't get back up". Here spirit was still there--she would amble into the kitchen for treats even though she couldn't eat them--but her body was done.

My deepest condolences. Know that you are kind in your bravery and brave in your kindness towards this wonderful creature with whom you have been trusted for so many years.

Amber Goins-Finley said...

My heart reaches out to you, no matter how long it has been we always remember our horses.