Monday, January 3, 2011

Rode the Ponies Today!

It was chilly, wet and windy, but D and I decided to brave the weather and try out the new pony. D rode trusty old Tonto, while I lunged, then managed to muster up the courage to climb on the new pony, Scout.


Good old Tonto was an angel - he continues to cart D around, although it looks like D could use some roller skates while riding the little pony:


D demonstrates the "chair seat." He is begging for a western saddle...it may be time to comply. However, he may need a new pony to carry the western saddle around...or maybe we can teach Tonto to pull a cart! :)


Scout was full of himself today. The lady we bought him from warned me that he could be "spunky," and he was, but he wasn't bad. He just wanted to play!


I rode him in a standing martingale today because he flips his head up. It worked wonders. Poor pony, I am pulling his face off because he kept wanting to run through my hands, so we did some "extreme bending and circling." He seems to bore quickly. We may have to find some games to play once I get to know him better and I'm not so nervous. Not sure how far to push him and I don't want to get tossed at this point as my confidence is slowly growing! This lack of confidence thing is for the birds!


It was fun to have a pony to ride and to be able to ride with D again! Hopefully we can swap ponies in the near future so D's feet won't drag the ground (as bad).



In the photo below, Scout is way behind the bit. It's part of that head flipping thing he is doing and me locking my elbows. I worked him in a plain full-cheek snaffle today and he liked it much, much better than the kimberwicke we used the day I tried him out (they had been riding him in an Argentine snaffle...). Hoping to ride him without the standing martingale soon and may keep trying new bits to see what he goes best in. Any suggestions?




So far, so good - I am thrilled with the new pony. Tonto is thrilled to have a new buddy, too, and has quit running around screaming to the horses next door.
Can you tell I like color? :)



Until next time................Happy New Year and Happy Riding!

6 comments:

Braymere said...

That looks like so much fun! I would love to go ride a furry, spotty pony today.

:)

buckpony said...

Come on down south and you can ride with me! :)Take your pick. :) I love your blog - your posts are always wonderful! Thanks for stopping by mine. :)

SunnySD said...

Love the new addition! He looks so cute out there with Tonto - can't wait to read all your adventures :)

BaxtersMum said...

OK - first - yes to the teaching Tonto to drive - since he doesn't like to canter, he would be PERFECT as a cart horse.

And teaching ground driving would give D something to do. Its challenging dealing with long reins and a whip and learning turning radius, and once you get good at it, you can get a cart and then set up obstacle courses like they do for the driving classes at the shows. And as a cart horse - OMG how cute.

Re:Boredom for the new guy - ha ha ha. Welcome to my world. Ground poles, my dear, ground poles and cones. you can do alot of mind requiring work with those simple things.

re:head flipping - check his teeth and check his back. It may be habit, but it may also be a pain response. If its a habit, lunging in low side reins (remembering to always always keep him going forward - otherwise he could flip himself if he gets "trapped" in his head.) should help him learn there is a boundary for where his head should go. and it rewards him for long and low.

that way he works out the "no fun throwing my head" with out you on his back. I am leery to EVER use a harsher bit to fix a head tossing issue. But if its a teeth issue - try a different snaffle, for sure. Jericho doesn't like the loose ring snaffles that have rings that can slide on the side - I think they pinch his lip, so I ride in this:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-01359
(actually a cheaper version of that...) I like the center peice that allows it to break and bend multiple ways and I like how thick it is.


I'd ride with draw reins for now - you can set them up in your hands so that you only use them when you need them. - that might give you a bit more flexibiliy than a martingale. And it might help him round up over his back when you correct him - something a martingale may not be able to do.

Keep up the good work, girl!!!

alex said...

Great! so beautiful... keep it up and we will be waiting for your next post.




Edina MN Realty
Seattle Homes For Sale

buckpony said...

Thank you for all of the kind comments, friends! I will have to do a new post soon - I worked Scout on the lunge this past Sunday and was quite impressed with the little guy! Thank you for the suggestions BaxtersMum - I worked Scout in sidereins and he did awesome. Hoping to purchase some draw reins soon and test some of your other suggestions as soon as I have some time. The vet checked his teeth and she said there were no points. He was much better with the full cheek snaffle this last time, too. I am really happy with him so far and wish I had a lot more time to spend with him...will post an update as soon as I finish my report for work!